[FOM] set theory, V = L, CH

Joe Shipman JoeShipman at aol.com
Sun Aug 24 21:46:40 EDT 2014

One thing to like about this formulation is that you can take out the word "proper" and you get the axiom V=M, where M is the class of "strongly constructible sets" defined by Cohen.

If this class forms a set then M is Cohen's "minimal model" but if it doesn't then you settle all large cardinal questions (negatively). It seems to me that if you are trying to justify V=L by saying "only sets that must exist do exist" there is no reason not to apply this philosophy "vertically" as well as "horizontally".

-- JS

Sent from my iPhone