[FOM] V = L/crises

martdowd at aol.com martdowd at aol.com
Sat Aug 23 12:24:22 EDT 2014

V = L takes care of all of these annoying cases for them where there is the appearance of a real mathematical problem which can be after the fact rejected on the grounds that it has a disguised set theory component, but rather than get into after the fact pronouncements about how it was not the right problem after all, and that one should reformulate it to cut down the generality, etc. the problem can invariably be completely nuked by ZFC + V = L, period.

 There aren't many questions outside of set theory which require even CH.  There are some in Banach space theory as I recall.  I did a web search looking for applications of a Suslin line, or diamond.  For Suslin lines,

www.math.cornell.edu/~justin/Ftp/Katetov_revisit.pdf
http://mathoverflow.net/questions/163616/suslin-lines-hereditarily-lindelof
http://d-scholarship.pitt.edu/8942/1/poerio.pdf
mention some problems in topology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_principle
mentions Naimark's problem and Whitehead's problem as applications of diamond.

Does anyone know a reference for the proof that the clopen subsets of Cantor space are finitely generated by the basic clopen sets?  Are there any theorems concerning the clopen subsets of Baire space?

- Martin Dowd