[FOM] Thoughts on CH 2

Harvey Friedman hmflogic at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 17:56:28 EDT 2014

Concerning "there is a countably additive non atomic probability measure on
all sets of reals".

It has the advantage for set theorists in that it proves the existence of
an inner model of ZFC + "there exists a measurable cardinal".

It has the disadvantage for mathematicians in that the probability measure
cannot be translation invariant.

As we now know, mathematicians are content to leave the usual independent
set theoretic questions open - and they would rather leave them open than
consider new axioms. They have decided that for what they really care
about, they do not need to consider these set theoretic problems - and they
generally recognize that they are different. It would be interesting to
document just how mathematicians view set theoretic problems as different
than what they do. E.g., do they regard the difference as fundamental (as I
do), or "merely" sociological?

Harvey