[FOM] Manjul Bhargava: A nice exception to a rule

Joe Shipman JoeShipman at aol.com
Fri Aug 15 22:18:19 EDT 2014

He's not the only one who went back and improved on Gauss.

As FOMers who were here in 2007 know, I noticed that Gauss's original proof of the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra could be generalized.

In modern language, that proof shows that a field of characteristic 0 where all equations of odd degree and degree 2 have roots is algebraically closed.

I found out what was really going on combinatorially underneath it all and improved the proof so that you only need to assume prime degree and it works in arbitrary characteristic, and I gave an algorithm for determining all implications between sets of "degree axioms" (axioms that all polynomials of a given degree have roots).

As Bhargava demonstrated, there can be buried treasure in well-plowed fields, if you dig a little deeper.

-- JS

Sent from my iPhone