[FOM] What is second order ZFC?

Richard Heck richard_heck at brown.edu
Tue Sep 10 22:03:00 EDT 2013

On 08/31/2013 06:27 PM, Harvey Friedman wrote:
> I have always found that a good way to deal with issues of first order
> versus second order theories is to step back and ask
>
>           what is second order ZFC?
>
> We all agree on what ordinary ZFC is. We can call this first order
> ZFC. We know its syntax, what it means to be an axiom of ZFC, what it
> means to be a proof in ZFC, what it means to be a theorem of ZFC.
>
> I invite those who do not readily agree with what I have said about
> second order theories, to answer this question, and compare it with
> ordinary ZFC.
>
> To make this worthwhile, do not use, without complete explanation,
> phrases like "second order logic".

OK, I'll bite. References to various things I will mention are below.

For what it's worth, I don't care for the way Harvey draws the
first-order/second-order distinction, but I'll acquiesce in his
terminology for present purposes.

Second-order ZFC is the theory, formulated in a second-order language,
whose axioms are the second-order versions of the axioms of first-order
ZFC. Its theorems are the second-order consequences of those axioms. The
problem is now to explain "second-order consequence". But, as always,
consequence is truth-preservation, so what we need to know is how to
define truth for a second-order language. Since quantification will be
handled largely as Tarski taught, all we really need to know is what
"instances" a quantified formula has.

I take it that the point of raising the question as one about ZFC
specifically is that one typically talks about sets when trying to
explain what the second-order quantifiers are supposed to mean. But if
that is the problem, then it is a very old one, and one to which various
familiar of these responses, due to George Boolos, was motivated by
exactly this sort of problem: there is something wrong with appealing to
set-theory in trying to explain second-order quantification, because the
intended interpretation of ZFC is one in which the first-order
quantifers range over all sets; hence, there is no "power set of the
first-order domain".

Boolos's solution was to appeal to plural quantification, the locus
classicus for that discussion being his paper "To Be Is To Be a Value of
a Variable". Boolos insists, plausibly enough, that there are some sets
none of which is an element of itself, but denies, sensibly enough, that
there is any set of all the sets that are not elements of themselves.
The locution "there are some sets" should not, therefore, be regarded as
quantifying over sets.

Boolos seems to have regarded plural quantification (i) as perfectly
intelligible in its own right and (ii) as a reasonable way of
interpreting second-order quantification. It is, in any event, obvious
that there are expressive equivalences of various kinds here. The
semantics of plural quantification has since been investigated
extensively by linguists, and plural logic has since been developed by
several people (among them, just off the top of my head, Agustín Rayo
and Byeong-Uk Yi, with relevant work by many others).

Another option is Frege's: regard second-order quantifiers as
quantifying over what he called "concepts", which are essentially a kind
of function, not regarded as any kind of set. Frege's explanation of
what these are appeals to an abstract notion of predication
(unsaturatedness), which many have regarded as difficult to understand
but which, in my own view, is actually pretty well understood nowadays.
On this kind of view, the semantics of a second-order language is itself
simply to be given in a higher-order language, as in work by Agustín
Rayo and Gabriel Uzquiano.

There is, of course, an obvious question how it is to be guaranteed that
the "second-order domain", if we want to speak that way (Boolos did
not), is as "big" as it is supposed to be. There is literature on this
question, as well. One option, pursued by Vann McGee (and, in a somewhat
similar way, by me) is to appeal to a notion of "open-endedness" that is
also found in some of Sol Feferman's work, though I'm sure Sol would not
approve of the use we make of it. Here there are more questions than
answers, no doubt, but the matter is hardly closed or hopeless.

As for Harvey's questions....

> 1. Is CH an axiom of ZFC?

Of course not.

> 2. Is CH an "axiom of second order ZFC"?

No. The only axioms of second-order ZFC are the second-order versions of
the first-order axioms.

> 3. Is CH a theorem of ZFC?

Not unless ZFC is inconsistent.

> 4. Is CH a "theorem of second order ZFC"? [corrected]

I don't know. Second-order consequence is very hard to decide.

As Harvey has said, there are features of second-order logic, perhaps
illustrated by (4), that make second-order theories useless for
foundational purposes *of certain kinds*. There is very nice work by
Peter Koellner exploring exactly why and how, but without simply
assuming, as Harvey seems to do, that completeness is non-negotiable. I
don't myself think completeness is non-negotiable: Partial
axiomatization is perfectly possible, in many cases, and will do much of
what we want.

Nonetheless, there are lots of ways in which logic can be used in the
study of mathematics, mind, and world, and one should not confuse
unsuitability for one's own purposes with unsuitability tout court.
Solipsism, after all, is false.

Richard Heck

=====