[FOM] Relevance Logic and Tennant

Edwin Mares Edwin.Mares at vuw.ac.nz
Thu Sep 5 18:25:46 EDT 2013

Re: Charlie Silver's post on relatedness logic:

Epstein's relatedness logic is not a form of relevance (or relevant) logic. It is an interesting system (or family of systems), though. The idea is that an implication A->B is true iff (i) the corresponding material implication is true and (ii) A and B bear the relation of relatedness to one another. This relation is a primitive notion but can be understood as an intensional semantic connection of some sort.

In the formal semantics, there is a relatedness relation r on propositional variables. r is extended to a relation R on formulae such that we can prove that R(A,B) iff there are p in A and q in B such that r(p,q). Thus, if r is reflexive, A -> (B -> A) is a theorem of the logic.

Relevance logic, in the Anderson-Belnap tradition, is constructed to avoid the paradoxes of material and strict implication (that's the point of that form of relevant logic!). Thus, we don't think of Epstein's systems as relevance logics.

This is not to say that Epstein hasn't constructed good systems. They just capture different intuitions about implication than our systems do.

Edwin Mares
Philosophy
Victoria University of Wellington
P.O. Box 600