[FOM] First Order Logic

Charlie silver_1 at mindspring.com
Mon Sep 2 14:04:37 EDT 2013

	  I reproduce below a (SNIPPED version of a) discussion that took place on FOM on Sept. 11th, 2000, between Matt Insall and Harvey Friedman.   I believe this old exchange sums up the matter succinctly and accurately:

Harvey:
So in a sound and complete finitary deductive calculus, semantic
compactness is equivalent to strong completeness.
<SNIP>
Yes, but the hypothesis of completeness is far too strong in the context of
SOL. The set of SOL validities is nowhere near even recursively enumerable.
<SNIP>
SOL is well known not to be semantically compact, and also any complete
deductive system for SOL must be grossly unreasonable.

Charlie Silver