[FOM] Possibility and probability/ Wenmackers

Lotfi A. Zadeh zadeh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri Oct 11 20:22:51 EDT 2013

Dear Sylvia:

I read your comment with great interest. What you wrote is very much to
the point. It is obvious that you have given a great deal of thought to
the issues under discussion.

Let me restate the question which I posed. How would you differentiate
between the propositions: (a) It is possible that p, and (b) It is
probable that p? p is a proposition which may be drawn from a natural
language. For convenience, let us refer to (a) as a
possibility-qualified proposition, written as possibly p, and to (b) as
a probability-qualified proposition, written as probably p. It is my
belief that to differentiate between (a) and (b), it is necessary to
precisiate the meaning of p, that is, express the meaning of p in a
mathematically well-defined form which lends itself to serving as an
object of computation.

The real challenge is to addressthe posed question when p is a
proposition drawn from a natural language. Typically, a proposition
drawn from a natural language is a fuzzy proposition. A fuzzy
proposition is a proposition which contains fuzzy predicates, e.g.,
tall, fast, rich; and/or fuzzy quantifiers, e.g., many, most, many more;
and/or fuzzy probabilities, e.g., likely, unlikely, very probable;
and/or fuzzy possibilities, e.g., quite possible, almost impossible,
more or less possible; and/or fuzzy truth values, e.g., quite true,
almost true, not very true. Simple example. Robert is much taller than
most of his friends.

     In your comment, you attempt to deal with fuzzy propositions within
the conceptual structure of systems of reasoning which are based on
bivalent logic, including probability theory and modal logic. Underlying
my question is my belief that this cannot be done. Traditional
bivalent-logic-based theories provide no means for precisiating the
meaning of fuzzy propositions. What is needed for this purpose is fuzzy
logic--the logic of classes with unsharp (fuzzy) boundaries. Very
briefly, in fuzzy logic a class with unsharp boundaries, A, is
precisiated through association with a membership function--a function
which assigns to each object in a space, U, its grade of membership in
A. A precisiated class with unsharp boundaries is a fuzzy set. Grade of
membership in a fuzzy set is allowed to be a fuzzy set. In fuzzy logic,
everything is, or is allowed to be, a matter of degree. Fuzzy logic and
multi-valued logic have different agendas.

     What are needed for precisiation of meaning are three logic-based
formalisms: possibility theory (Zadeh 1978
<http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/%7Ezadeh/papers/Fuzzy%20sets%20as%20a%20basis%20for%20a%20theory%20of%20possibility-1978.pdf>;
Dubois and Prade, Possibility Theory: An Approach to Computerized
Processing of Uncertainty 1988), generalized probability theory (Zadeh
2002
<http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/%7Ezadeh/papers/Toward%20a%20perception-based%20theory%20of%20probabilistic%20reasoning%20with%20imprecise%20probabilities-2002.pdf>,
2006
<http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/%7Ezadeh/papers/GTU--Principal%20Concepts%20and%20Ideas-2006.pdf>)
and a theory of meaning (Zadeh 2013
<http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/%7Ezadeh/papers/Toward%20a%20Restriction-Centered%20Theory%20of%20Truth%20and%20Meaning%20FINAL.pdf>).
In possibility theory, possibility is a matter of degree and possibly is
a fuzzy set. This fuzzy set is interpreted as a restriction on the
possibility measure of p. In generalized probability theory, probably is
a fuzzy set, and so are fuzzy events. This fuzzy set is a restriction on
the probability measure of p. This, in essence, is what differentiates
(a) from (b). What should be noted is that in fuzzy logic, possibly and
probably are not viewed as operators. Details may be found in the cited