[FOM] possibility and probability/ Beziau

Lotfi A. Zadeh zadeh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu Oct 3 20:18:43 EDT 2013

Dear Dr. Beziau,

     Thank you for your comment. Please note that p may be a proposition
drawn from a natural language. Neither modal logic nor probability
theory deal with such propositions. Example. Most Swedes are tall. How
would you differentiate between, "It is possible that most Swedes are
tall" and "It is probable that most Swedes are tall?" When p is a
proposition drawn from a natural language, possible is not bivalent,as
it is in modal logic. Thank you for bringing to my attention the work by
Pedro Baltazar, "Probabilization of Logics: Completeness and
Decidability." My understanding is that this work does not deal with
propositions drawn from a natural language. Dealing with such
propositions raises many problems which do not arise when p is a crisp
proposition.

Sincerely yours,

Lotfi Zadeh

--
Lotfi A. Zadeh
Professor Emeritus

Address:
729 Soda Hall #1776
Computer Science Division
Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences
University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720-1776
zadeh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Tel.(office): (510) 642-4959