[FOM] Why ZF as foundation of mathematics?

D. Klein D.Klein at uvt.nl
Mon Nov 11 10:16:41 EST 2013

Dear readers (Sirs AND madams), dear Zuhair Al-Johar

Rather than reacting to your suggestion, I'd like to elaborate a bit more on the question in the title - hoping that some people on the list who thought more about it throw in some comments.

It seems that the question on why ZFC happens to be in the situation it is yet, or more generally on how to choose between different systems as foundations of mathematics has many dimensions, some of them being a tradeoff between mathematical and philosophical motivations.

Relevant points seem to you:

- historical contingencies (most of your quotes on ZF seem to point at least partially to this dimension)

- inner-mathematical reasons (weakness/strength, easiness to actually derive theorems, closeness between the formal systems and "informal" mathematical arugments ...)

- Ontological harmlessness (rather one than two types of objects, first order ...)

- Intuitiveness: In a fairly  intuitive  sense, we want to be sure to not just talk about some mathematics, but "the" mathematics, as the "right" abstraction from the outside world. In this sense we want axioms to be "beyond discussion" in a sense that anybody interested would more or less immediately accept the axioms as being true beyond any reasonable doubt, in a metalogical sense, of course.  This seems to be, for instance, a claim that distinguishes ZF from Homotopy Type Theory: I'd be able to sell the axioms of ZF to most people on the street as capturing "what they always took to be true about sets. Thus, I'm pretty sure to (be able to) create consensus on the truth of mathematical arguments following from these axioms. With HoTT in contrast, it seems to me that it takes some fairly advanced mathematician to actually see that the kind of axiomatic statements made should be necessariily true and we should all agree on that (for metalogical reasons). So in a sense, we can be less sure that there is a uniersal acceptance for these axioms than for the ZF axioms.

On the other hand, both axiomatic systems only have consent of an educated insiders group (people having attended something equivalent to a western style primary school vs. a bit further advanced mathematicians), still the kind of ingroup consent seems to add sth. to the argument.

- Applicability: part of an axiomatic system is the implicit promise that  most "real life" mathematical arguments (i.e. stuff said by people in PDE, topology, algebraic geometry...) could be formalized in it. Again, this claim has two dimensions: Is the formalization achievable in principle, and is it even achievable within a reasonable amount of time, effort and creativity. As I take it, one of the main motiations of the homotopy type program is the second question. The first dimension seems to be one of the main dividing lines between typed and untyped systems: The necessity to control for stratifiedness in any formalisation definitely reduces my subjective belief of the existence of such a formalisation.

Did I forget any dimensions?

All the best,
Dominik