[FOM] Computability question

Kreinovich, Vladik vladik at utep.edu
Sat Mar 30 23:59:53 EDT 2013

What you describe is Turing computations with UNARY numbers, when people talk about polynomial-time computations they mean binary (or, equivalently, decimal) numbers, in this case, the usual algorithm for addition is linear time (and thus, polynomial time).

In terms of further reading, I suggest M. Sipser, Introduction to the Theory of Computation, this is a good intro book, at our university, we have been using it for a few years.