[FOM] Eliminating AC

Joe Shipman JoeShipman at aol.com
Sun Mar 24 21:47:07 EDT 2013

This still doesn't help me. Please assume that my mathematical interlocutor understands the axiomatic method, predicate calculus, and what the ZFC axioms actually are and how to derive "ordinary mathematics" from them, but he does not know any technical set-theoretical results about constructibility, absoluteness, etc.

He knows what a proof from ZFC is, he knows what a proof from ZF is, he prefers the latter, and he wants insight into how, if he has a proof of an arithmetical statement from ZFC, he can find a proof of that statement from ZF that he could then present to his colleagues instead of the proof from ZFC that he currently has.

-- JS

Sent from my iPhone