[FOM] From theorems of infinity to axioms of infinity

MartDowd at aol.com MartDowd at aol.com
Wed Mar 20 13:14:23 EDT 2013

Nik,

J. Shoenfield's article in the "Handbook of Mathematical Logic" contains a
justification of the power set axiom.  Its adoption can be seen as an
application of Occam's razor.  It is necessary to have the set of all  functions
from the reals to the reals, even for calculus; then subsets such as  the
continuous functions,and differentiable functions can be defined.  This
illustrates that the power set of a set is a self-evident and useful concept;
the simplest way to ensure its existence in formal set theory is to adopt the
 power set axiom.  The fact that this leads to sets outside the realm of
ordinary mathematics could be considered a metaphysical accident rather than
an  extravagance.

= Martin Dowd

In a message dated 3/19/2013 5:24:01 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,