[FOM] FW: Lost Logician

Edwin Mares Edwin.Mares at vuw.ac.nz
Wed Mar 6 19:06:00 EST 2013

Hi all,

Thanks to those of you who wrote me about Stahls who have worked on modal logic. It turns out that Lewis misspelled the name in his manuscript. It is Strahl, not Stahl. I just received a copy of the correspondence between Lewis and Hans Reichenbach, who was Strahl’s doctoral supervisor. This is what Reichenbach says this in a letter of 3 March 1935:

“You know the doctor[al]-dissertation of Dr. Wilhelm Strahl, one of my Berlin students, who showed me a letter from you. He is to leave Germany now on account of Jewish descent. Do you think it is possible of getting means for him to continue his studies at Harvard? There is the Emergency Committee in Aid of Displaced German Scholars (2 West 45th Street, New York City); if you could do there anything for him, it would be kind of you.”

Lewis couldn’t find any funding for Strahl, but offered him a non-paying research fellowship. Whether Strahl took up this offer, I don’t know.

Ed Mares