[FOM] Prejudice against "unnatural" definitions

Mitchell Spector spector at alum.mit.edu
Wed Mar 6 01:28:09 EST 2013

Joe,

If the question is the actual status of the statement "There is no definable well-ordering of the
reals", the answer is that it's independent of ZFC. (There's one proviso here, but I'll hold off on
that for a minute.)

But if the question is what statement this could reasonably be a circumlocution for if it is claimed
to be true (either naively or very informally), I think the answer is the one I gave -- that there
is no definition that can be proven in ZFC to be a well-ordering of the reals.

My understanding of what you meant was the second interpretation.

* * *

Here's the proviso I was thinking of.

You can't express "There is no definable well-ordering of the reals" in ZFC, so it's not immediately
clear what it means to say that it's independent of ZFC. But you can clarify it like this (assuming
ZFC is consistent, of course):

(1) For the fact that it is consistent with ZFC, use the theorem that ZFC is consistent with "There
is no ordinal-definable well-ordering of the reals" (this is due to Levy, I think).
Ordinal-definability is expressible in ZFC, and every definable set is ordinal-definable, so this is
sufficient.

(2) To see that its negation is consistent with ZFC, note that the usual well-ordering of the
constructible reals is definable (Gödel gave an explicit definition), and it's consistent with ZFC
for this to be a well-ordering of all the reals.  (Since this uses a particular specific definition
of a well-ordering, you don't need the general notion of definability.)

Mitchell

--
Mitchell Spector
E-mail: spector at alum.mit.edu