[FOM] SOL vs. ZFC

Timothy Y. Chow tchow at alum.mit.edu
Thu Jun 6 13:49:57 EDT 2013

On Wed, 5 Jun 2013, Joe Shipman wrote:
> It's not a pointless semantic debate if we care about which statements
> of arithmetic are "true". SOL will not only guarantee the meaningfulness
> of statements of arithmetic, it will recognize a distinction between
> Con(PA) which is a consequence of logical validities and can be thought
> of as unqualifiedly "true", and Con(Z) which is a consequence of set
> existence axioms that are not part of "logic".
>
> The question of "justifying the axioms" then goes away for most math
> because logic comes "for free".

It's hard for me to imagine that this line of argumentation---i.e., X is
true because X is logic and logic is true---would convince many people
today when it comes to, say, X = Con(PA).  There's such a widespread
feeling that logical truth is what you get by syntactic manipulation that
you'd be fighting an uphill battle to convince people that Con(PA) is
logically true.

Tim