[FOM] Real and imaginary parts of algebraic numbers

joeshipman at aol.com joeshipman at aol.com
Wed Jul 31 19:21:46 EDT 2013

Clarifying question (3) -- I would like to also assume that trisections and cube roots and square roots are possible, so that I can use any operations of degree <= 4 to get from one of the two quintic inverse functions to the other. This is relevant to solving quintics using marked ruler and compass, because we already can solve cubics and quartics with these tools (in fact, with the marked ruler alone, but having a compass as well allows some higher-degree equations to be solved, and I need to know how to get from the quintics I can solve to the ones I don't yet know how to).

-- JS