[FOM] Seeking sage advice on terminology

paul at personalit.net paul at personalit.net
Tue Jul 30 15:10:27 EDT 2013

Given that one implies merely the existence of some unspecified proof in
PA, while the other implies the existence of a specific proof which is
given, one may always say "there is a proof of FLT such that _____" vs.
"the proof of FLT such that _____," and in each case the blank _____
will be filled in with a different condition, either by referring to a
system in which there is a proof, PA, or by referring to a unique proof
in PA.  Sage advice this may not be, but it's one way to talk about this
that avoids multiplication of terminology by leveraging the difference
between existential quantification and definite description in our
language of use.

-paul hollander