[FOM] Con(ZFC) is trivial

Harvey Friedman hmflogic at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 21:37:38 EST 2013

I never dismissed Con(ZFC) as not interesting, or trivial. On the
contrary, it is of great importance to have varied reasons for
believing it or its negation. The same assertions hold for Con(T),
where T is various well known strong extensions of ZFC.

As Goedel pointed out, it cannot be proved in ZFC, but might be proved
using extramathematical notions.

These Eight Supernatural Consistency Proofs are new ways of
accomplishing just this.

As you can see, they overshoot Con(ZFC). That's just the way it came
out. If I had an equally natural way of accomplishing this along these
lines, I would have included it, and the number would be greater than
eight.

Thanks for the typos.

Harvey Friedman