[FOM] universal machine as a primitive instruction

T.Forster at dpmms.cam.ac.uk T.Forster at dpmms.cam.ac.uk
Fri Apr 12 06:51:29 EDT 2013

Have i missed answers to this? It seems like a sensible question if i
understand it correctly. There obviously can be no universal FDA and (less
obviously) no universal PDA. What about linear bounded automata? Is
Turing-computable the only notion of computability that supports a
universal machine?

  If true, it looks like the kind of fact one would like to prove in a
course like my fourth-year computability-and-logic course here...