[FOM] What can physical systems compute?

Kreinovich, Vladik vladik at utep.edu
Fri Apr 5 23:25:33 EDT 2013

Great references, many thanks. May I also add that some physical theories and models, if true, will lead to the possibility of solving NP-hard problems in polynomial time, there is a wonderful survey by Aaronson.

In particular, in hyperbolic space-time, where the volume of a sphere grows exponentially with radius, one can fit exponentially many processors in a sphere of a linear radius, and thus, solve SAT and other problems in polynomial time; see, e.g.,
  Dara Morgenstein and Vladik Kreinovich, "Which
  algorithms are feasible and which are not depends on
  the geometry of space-time", Geombinatorics, 1995, Vol. 4, No.
  3, pp. 80-97.
  http://www.cs.utep.edu/vladik/1994/tr94-20a.pdf

Vladik Kreinovich and Maurice Margenstern, "In Some Curved Spaces,

  One Can Solve NP-Hard Problems in Polynomial Time", Notes of

  Mathematical Seminars of St. Petersburg Department of Steklov

  Institute of Mathematics, 2008, Vol. 358, pp. 224-250; reprinted in

  Journal of Mathematical Sciences, 2009, Vol. 158, No. 5, pp. 727-740.
http://www.cs.utep.edu/vladik/2007/tr07-30a.pdf

and references therein. Another easy-to-understand possibility is if time machine is possible. In this case, we can take as long as we want to compute and then send the result back in time, so we get it in time 0 (which is clearly polynomial). Even a threat of time machine can enable us to solve NP-hard problems in polynomial time: crudely speaking, we can use a random process to general n Boolean values, check whether these values form are a satisfying vector, and if not, set up a time machine to bring an inconsistency, then consistency will lead to a satisfying vector.

M. Koshelev and V. Kreinovich,

  "Towards Computers of Generation Omega -

  Non-Equilibrium Thermodynamics, Granularity, and Acausal Processes: A

  Brief Survey",

  Proceedings of the International Conference on

  Intelligent Systems and Semiotics (ISAS'97), National Institute of

  Standards and Technology Publ., Gaithersburg, MD, 1997, pp. 383-388.
http://www.cs.utep.edu/vladik/1997/tr97-12.pdf

Olga M. Kosheleva and Vladik Kreinovich. "What can physics give to

  constructive mathematics," Mathematical Logic and

  Mathematical Linguistics,

  Kalinin, 1981, pp. 117-128 (in Russian).