[FOM] Paradoxes: The epistemological aspect

Sam Sanders sasander at cage.ugent.be
Wed Apr 3 04:22:46 EDT 2013

Dear Isaac,

Regarding your recent post, there is a paper by Weber and Colyvan (A topological sorites paradox)
which unifies all the sorites paradoxes into one "topological sorites paradox" (TSP).  Their claim
is that any sorites phenomenon is thus essentially topological.   Weber and Zach also claim that TSP is
e.g. relevant for/occurs in applied sciences.

Their idea is nice, but TSP entails relatively strong axioms (at least \Pi_1^1-CA_0), and thus has little
or nothing to do with physical reality or applied sciences, in my opinion.  One could make a similar
claim for the original sorites paradox, but such claims would be controversial.

Best,

Sam