[FOM] Equivalence relation on sets of natural numbers

Stephen Yablo stephen.yablo at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 14:14:35 EDT 2012

George Boolos considers this kind of relation in his"Bad Company" objection
to  Fregean platonism: two sets are the same "parity" if their symmetric
difference is finite and even.  This forces the domain to be finite, if I
remember right, assuming that parities "exist."  See his  "Is Hume's
Principle Analytic?"

--
Steve

Linguistics and Philosophy, 32-D808
MIT, 77 Mass Ave
Cambridge , MA 02139

Things:  Papers on Objects, Events, and Properties (OUP
2010)<http://www.amazon.com/Things-Papers-Objects-Properties-Philosophical/dp/0199266492/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294333006&sr=8-1>
Thoughts: Papers on Mind, Meaning, and  Modality (OUP
2009)<http://www.amazon.com/Thoughts-Papers-Meaning-Modality-Philosophical/dp/0199266476/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1294333006&sr=8-2>