[FOM] Richard Epstein's view

Arnon Avron aa at tau.ac.il
Fri Mar 30 02:36:10 EDT 2012

"With normal vision" - so blind people cannot understand claims of the
  form "The formal sentence A is/isn't a theorem of the formal system T"?

"suitably programmed electronic computer" what is this? "suitable"
for what? And what is the criterion for being "suitably programmed"?
Can this be given any sensible (or at least non-circular) meaning
without understanding first the absolute nature of the truth of
propositions of the form we are discussing?

"concrete instantiations of its theoremhood" - Is the property of being
"concrete instantiation" of A absolute? Is at least the proposition "alpha
and beta are both concrete instantiations of A"
meaningful and absolute, or is it "only true or false in application"?

The truth it that I do not see a point in continuing this debate.
I do not believe that you personally hold the views you are trying
to defend, and I think that people who do believe that they have
such  views will go on pretending that they do not recognize the existence
of absolutely true abstract propositions. They will continue to
suggest more and more complicated (and in my opinion - less
and less coherent) ways how to interprete what they are saying,
and this can go on for ever. So I'll stop here.

Arnon