[FOM] A few more thoughts on the expression 'only in a Pickwickian sense'

Margaret MacDougall Margaret.MacDougall at ed.ac.uk
Mon Mar 26 04:04:29 EDT 2012

Dear Jon

Thanks for your interest in highlighing the reference below.  I managed
to find some time over recent days to read the entire article by Pierce,
as was my intention before replying.  I think, in the final analysis,
Pierce's usage of the term arises from his comments on human beings as
consisting at least in part of a self who is evolving through
instruction. While he acknowledges that this instruction is derived from
a) a sort of external self  and b) a circle of society which can be
referred to as a "sort of loosely compacted person", he does not regard
the beings under either a) or b), above as genuinely real under his own
notion of human existence. In an analogous sense *some* writers who
favour nominalism do away with mathematical objects through use of the
expression 'only in a Pickwickian sense'.

However, when the expression 'only in a Pickwickian sense' is used there
is an associated need to be very clear about what is required for an
entity to exist; otherwise, it is very difficult to see why the usage of
such an expression is justified or whether the intended argument for a
particular philosophy of mathematics is genuinely substantiated.

Best wishes

Margaret

--
Scotland, with registration number SC005336.