[FOM] 491:Formal Simplicity

Sam Sanders sasander at cage.ugent.be
Mon Mar 26 03:21:21 EDT 2012

An important aspect of naturalness, at least in theories regarding the observable universe (physics, chemistry,…), is that they are *robust*.
The latter notion means 'stability under (small) variations of parameters'.  The idea is that scientific theories are approximations of reality which always incorporate
small errors (often for valid reasons such as workability).  Hence, the theory is a reasonable approximation of reality and robustness guarantees that
the small errors in the theory do not cause artifacts/problems/...

In the context of Harvey Friedman's recent results, the question of robustness is (leads to) the following:

If one varies slightly the definitions, basic objects, functions at hand, … can one (in most cases) still obtain
a statement (similar to the ones provided by Harvey Friedman) that is not provable in ZFC?

I suspect that a) the answer is yes, and b) this is another aspect of the inevitability mentioned by Harvey Friedman:

In similar contexts, we can obtain similar unprovable statements, i.e. they can be found everywhere, and their
discovery is also inevitable.

Just so we understand each other:  most variations of the unprovable statements provided by Harvey Friedman are probably provable in ZFC.
However, the question of robustness is not whether variations of an unprovable statement are also unprovable, but whether there are
similar unprovable statements in a similar framework.

Sam Sanders

PS: In my opinion, understanding such qualitative aspects (like naturalness, simplicity, robustness, similarity of behaviour,...) of scientific theories
is an important aspect of foundational investigation.