[FOM] 486:Naturalness Issues

Sam Sanders sasander at cage.ugent.be
Mon Mar 19 18:38:38 EDT 2012

Harvey Friedman and Tim Chow discuss naturalness in FOM.  I would like to weigh in with the following analogy regarding naturalness from Biology.

Note that, in Biology, I understand "natural" to mean "occurs in the biological world"; In FOM, I understand "natural" to mean "occurs in the mathematical world".

1) Arbitrary genetic modification (performed on plants or animals by man) is not natural in the above sense.

2) However, there are some remarkable natural genetic mutations around:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgian_Blue

3) Any similar man-made genetic modification could still be called "natural", in the sense that it could have occurred spontaneously, just like the one for the Belgian Blue,
given enough time (but still within reasonable bounds).  A lot rides on "similar" and "reasonable" in the previous sentence, obviously.

I understand Harvey Friedman's notion of naturalness (or at least aspects thereof) in an analogous way:

1) Arbitrary logical manipulations of mathematical structures or theorems are not natural (See Reverse Mathematics).

2) There are natural mathematical notions around, which are remarkable/interesting from the point of view of logic.
The relations and graph properties considered by Harvey Friedman (order invariance, maximal square,...) are of this sort
(as they can be combined to an unprovable statement, see 3) below).
These notions are considered in isolation and in different combinations in Mathematics, i.e. they occur already.

3) Harvey Friedman combines these notions into a new statement which is independent of ZFC.
This new statement is natural in that it is a combination of existing properties already occurring in mathematical practice.
The particular combination of these properties would have occurred at some point anyway, as they are studied
already.

It is in this way I understand the naturalness and inevitability of the independent statements: they are
a "logician-made" combination of existing mathematical properties of which similar variations are in existence.
This particular variation was "waiting to be discovered", and hence inevitable.
Hence, Harvey Friedman's independent statements are not natural in the strict sense of "mathematician-made", but are a close derivative of the latter.
Although "close" is a very vague term, in the above sense, Friedman's independent statements still deserve the predicate "natural", in my opinion.

Sam Sanders

ps: In the last paragraph, "made" is used in analogy to "man-made".