[FOM] Short or very short Gôdel codes, anyone?

Paul Tarau paul.tarau at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 15:10:35 EDT 2012

Apparently the general solution to this problem is finding
a bijective Goedel numbering scheme for term algebras (that can also
fit, with minor adaptations, languages like predicate or lambda calculus).

I have just finished a Scala package that does it, see:

http://code.google.com/p/bijective-goedel-numberings/

The algorithms, using a generalized Cantor bijection between N and N^k
(known to be polynomial in size of the representations) ensure that:

- only syntactically valid terms are encoded / decoded

- a unique syntactically valid term is associated to each natural number

- a unique natural number is associated to each syntactically valid term

- either way, the bitsize of the representation of the output is proportional
  (up to a small constant) to the bitsize of the representation of the output

The trickiest steps for getting everything run in low polynomial time is
finding a fast inverse to the generalized Cantor bijection and using an
efficient ranking / unranking function for balanced parentheses languages.

Here is an outline of the algorithm:

First, it extracts a "Catalan Skeleton",
basically the sequence of parentheses
one can see in the string representation if
a term.

Next, it extracts symbol and variable labels
from a term.

Then it encodes the Catalan Skeleton as a natural number
and it encodes the symbol and variable labels
using the generalized Cantor bijection.

Finally it pairs together the two encodings
using the Cantor pairing function into
a natural number uniquely associated to the term.

The decoding from a natural number to a term
proceeds by inverting each of these steps.

For example, terms like:

F3(v3,F2(v2,F1(v1,v0,F1),F2),F3)
F3(v3,F2(v2,F1(v1,v0,v0),F1(v1,v0,v0)),F2(v2,F1(v1,v0,v0),F1(v1,v0,v0)))

are uniquely associated to Goedel numbers like

1166589096937670191 and
781830310066286008864372141041

of comparable representation size.

The usage of the package is explained at:

http://code.google.com/p/bijective-goedel-numberings/source/browse/READMEgoedel.txt

Paul Tarau