[FOM] f.o.m. documentary 2

Michael Lee Finney michael.finney at metachaos.net
Wed Feb 22 05:12:16 EST 2012

First, I have to say that the very idea of the "cumulative heirarchy"
that is created in "stages" gripes my gut. As I see it, everything
is there all at once, we merely discover the structure within the
axioms. There is no "creating", no "stages", nothing to be "reached"
or anything like that. However, that is merely a philosophical
objection. It doesn't really change the actual structure of set theory.

Otherwise, if you have

   1. A quantified logic which allows incomplete and inconsistent
   statememts without triviality,

   2. Allows arbritary "order" in the logic,

   3. A foundation which is simple, clean and provides for the
   founding of both set theory and category theory in a natural
   manner,

   4. All of the above is just as easy to use, in the same manner, as
   the classical foundations (under classical conditions), allowing
   all of conventional mathematics with effectively no changes,

   5. In addition to containing ZFC (as theorems), the set theory
   allows naive comprehension, non-wellfounded sets, Russell's set
   and other inconsistent structures,

   6. Does NOT satisfy completeness, etc..

Would you consisder the above to be a reasonable replacement for the
current logical foundations? It would appear to me to be what was
needed, but unavailable when classical logic and the various
restricted set theories were formulated. Godel's work essentially says
that either our systems are intrisincally incomplete or there are
inconsistencies in the system. To me, that argues that allowing the
presence of inconsistency is absolutely necessary. Triviality under
those conditions merely shows that the logical foundations are
wanting.

Building such a structure is difficult, but I believe that it is
possible. There have been great strides made already. Just because
fundamental work in foundations is hard does not mean that it is
impossible, unneeded or should be ignored.

As far as incompleteness affects theorem provers, I see the use of
computers as more of an assistant. Perhaps an AI to convert the usual
informal proof to something more formal and a theorem verifier to
ensure that theorems are correct. While some of the technical
difficulties are eliminated for complete logics, and some interesting
theorems have been proven -- they have been around for a while and
haven't replaced mathematicans yet. I would like to see all of
mathematics mechanically verified, in fact, not just as "possible in
theory".

Difficulty in building automated tools is no reason to restrict the
foundations. Otherwise, we would all be speaking Esperanto to make
writing voice recognition software easier.

Michael Lee Finney