[FOM] Kripke's outline of a theory of truth

Timothy Y. Chow tchow at alum.mit.edu
Mon Feb 20 14:35:50 EST 2012

I know I have asked this question before, but I don't remember whether it
was on FOM, and more importantly, I can't seem to find where I stashed the
answer in my own files.

In Kripke's "Outline of a Theory of Truth," he makes the following
comment, "To my surprise, I have found that the problem of defining the
languages of transfinite level presents substantial technical difficulties
which have never seriously been investigated."  He then goes on to say
that he has some partial results but doesn't go into detail.

What difficulties was Kripke talking about and have they been surmounted
by subsequent researchers?

Tim