[FOM] origin of "real"

Alasdair Urquhart urquhart at cs.toronto.edu
Tue Sep 20 10:28:32 EDT 2011

The origin of the term lies in the 17th century,
I think, in connection with the solution of
algebraic equations.  For example, here is
Descartes in "La Geometrie" (1637):

 	Neither the true nor the false roots are
 	always real, sometimes they are imaginary;
 	that is, while we can always imagine as
 	many roots for each equation as I have
 	assigned, yet there is not always a definite
 	quantity corresponding to each root we
 	have imagined.

Thus, the term "real" was introduced as a contrast
to "imaginary."  This does have some connection
with the explanation offered below, since
Descartes no doubt thought of "real solutions"
as being solutions in the "real world."