[FOM] Fwd: Paul Cohen was wrong

Brian White white at math.stanford.edu
Sun Sep 11 19:08:52 EDT 2011

On Sep 10, 2011, at 12:43 PM, Monroe Eskew wrote:

> I know the existence of \aleph_1 can be logically separated from the
> existence of P(\omega).  But in his quote, he says that cardinals are
> built "from ideas deriving from the replacement axiom."  I disagree.

Actually Cohen does not say that (in the passage you quote).
But he does certainly suggest it.
The phrase  "ideas deriving from the replacement axiom"
is rather vague, and I have no idea what he meant by it.
Do you?

In your original message ("Paul Cohen was wrong"), you wrote:

>>> But his argument is self-defeating!  Because in fact, \aleph_1 cannot
>>> be built without the powerset axiom.  The collection HC of
>>> hereditarily countable sets satisfies ZFC minus powerset.

Do you think Cohen wasn't very well aware of that?

> .  But what is the difference in character
> between your A1 and A2 below and the following?
>
> B1: There is a set that contains all subsets of omega.
>
> B2: There is a set that contains all subsets of P(omega).

The difference is that B1 is more powerful than A1:  B1 implies
A1 but not vice versa.   In a sense, it is much more powerful than
A1 because even A1 plus A2 plus A3 etc do not imply B1.