[FOM] Inconsistency of Inaccessibility

Joe Shipman JoeShipman at aol.com
Tue Oct 25 19:06:07 EDT 2011

I disagree about the truth of measurable cardinals bring more easy to argue for than their consistency. The statement that Lebesgue measure can be extended to a countably additive measure on all subsets of R^n has plenty of intuitive plausibility but implies only the consistency of measurable cardinals, and any universe in which measurable cardinals exist can be cut down to one in which they don't exist (but are consistent) but in which all the same statements are true up to a very high level of statement complexity (all the arithmetical sentences, and all the analytical sentences up to something like sigma^1_4  if I recall correctly).

What is the logically and ontologically simplest meaningful statement whose truth depends on the existence of measurable cardinals and not simply on the arithmetical consequences of measurable cardinals such as their consistency?

-- JS

Sent from my iPhone