[FOM] Inconsistency of Inaccessibility

Monroe Eskew meskew at math.uci.edu
Sun Oct 23 20:24:21 EDT 2011

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 7:47 AM,  <MartDowd at aol.com> wrote:
> The paper http://www.ijpam.eu/contents/2011-66-2/index.html (referred to in
> my Sep. 23 posting) gives what seem to be strong arguments that the
> existence of inaccessible cardinals should be added as an axiom to ZFC.  It
> is very unlikely that this is inconsistent.
>
> Martin Dowd

Martin,

Are you claiming that giving a convincing philosophical argument for
the addition of a mathematical axiom makes it likely that the axiom is
consistent?  I would like to see a defense of this general claim.  How
would the defense take into account examples like Russell's paradox?

Best,
Monroe