[FOM] [ATY/TCAC] Early October update additions

S Barry Cooper pmt6sbc at maths.leeds.ac.uk
Wed Oct 12 14:34:53 EDT 2011

Lots of responses to the October update - here are some of them, plus
some extra items should be mentioned:

1) Just today came headlines along the lines "Leonardo DiCaprio tipped to
play codebreaker Alan Turing":
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2011/oct/12/leonardo-dicaprio-codebreaker-alan-turing?newsfeed=true

"Collider.com reported that "Warner Bros. bought Graham Moore's spec
script The Imitation Game in a 7-figure deal today.  The buzz is
reportedly great on Moore's debut script about the life of British
mathematician/computer scientist Alan Turing, though that is not
necessarily why the studio outbid several independent companies for the
rights.  Rather it is because Leonardo DiCaprio is very interested in the
project and has "the inside track" to star.  Moreover, Ron Howard—who won
the Oscar when he directed the math biopic A Beautiful Mind—is reportedly
interested in the directing." See:

http://collider.com/leonardo-dicaprio-the-imitation-game/120032/

2) A number of people have picked up on the Brazil plans. With the
involvement of the British consulate, this might develop into something
quite exciting.

Main protagonist Dante Barone has some major ATY initiatives in progress -
more news later, hopefully.

3) Writer Ian Watson tells us: You might be interested for the Alan Turing
Year in a book I'm writing called "The Universal Machine: from the dawn of
computing to digital consciousness" that will be published in 2012 by
Springer Praxis Books in their popular science series.

As it's title suggests Turing's concept of a universal machine is the
unifying metaphor throughout the book and Turing his achievements and
legacy feature strongly throughout. The book is intended for a general
(non-academic) readership and hopefully will help further inform people
about Turing. The book is supported by my
blog http://universal-machine.blogspot.com/

4) Marc Monticelli is working on a Turing exhibition at Espace-Turing