[FOM] inconsistency of P

Sam Sanders sasander at cage.ugent.be
Tue Oct 4 22:57:50 EDT 2011

An example from my teaching experience:

If one has to teach physics students 'proper' calculus, i.e. with epsilons and deltas, it is helpful to give them intuitive and informal explanations using infinitesimals.
Usually, they know similar stories that use infinitesimals from other (physics) courses.
Most of these intuitive stories only really apply to standard functions (in the sense of Nonstandard Analysis), but that is way beyond first or second year students in physics.
Hence, one 'lie' I gross over is the distinction between standard and nonstandard.

It is a different discussion whether this practice (and NSA in general) is useful for students in mathematics (I believe both are).

ps: Keith Stroyan once said during a lecture on this very subject: 'We should not lie to our students, but we shouldn't necessarily tell them the entire truth".