[FOM] inconsistency of P

Harvey Friedman friedman at math.ohio-state.edu
Mon Oct 3 01:47:00 EDT 2011

I am reasonably aware of Nelson on this, but my main point is that
mathematicians (including Nelson, by the way) seem to regularly use -
and teach - facts which logically imply the consistency of at least
significant fragments of PA, including PRA, or single quantifier PA.
At least, the former Nelson - and what about Nelson's current math
teaching?

Even this claim of mine above requires serious justification, and
needs the new SRM = strict reverse mathematics, to fully justify.

On the other hand, it appears that a very large amount of mathematics
is "innocent" and does not imply the consistency of, say, PRA, or
single quantifier PA.

This leads to the program of coming up with very comprehensive
conservative extensions of, say, RCA0 (and weaker!) that have lots of
abstract objects - even uncountable objects - and support flexible
reasoning involving such.

Harvey Friedman