[FOM] why should we, in computer science, be excited about the possibility of speeds exceeding speed of light

Paul Budnik paul at mtnmath.com
Tue Nov 22 17:57:39 EST 2011

About a year ago I published a paper in _Complex Systems_ (
http://www.complex-systems.com/pdf/19-2-2.pdf ) arguing that a fully
discrete model with a regular topology must have faster than light
effects to approximate the wave equation. I suggested the best place to
look for them was in tests of Bells Inequality which might reveal a
local but superluminal universe. Einstein came to suspect that a fully
discrete model for physics might eventually lead to a falsification of
relativity.  "I consider it quite possible that physics cannot be based
on the field concept, i. e., on continuous structures. In that case
_nothing_ remains of my entire castle in the air gravitation theory
included, [and of] the rest of modern physics" From _Subtle is the Lord_
by Abraham Pais. page467.

Although the odds are against it, it is just possible that we are seeing
the first experimental glimpse into the discrete universe that concerned
Einstein and that will revolutionize physics and possibly lead to
immensely smaller and more powerful computers. It could even influence
the foundations of mathematics. I started looking into this field when I
became convinced that developing a discrete model for physics would only
be possible with experimental guidance and wanted to understand the
continuum in mathematics.

Paul Budnik
www.mtnmath.com