[FOM] Lodging and Funding for MAMLS Jan '12

Robert Lubarsky lubarsky.robert at comcast.net
Tue May 31 10:22:23 EDT 2011

There will be a meeting of the Mid-Atlantic Mathematical Logic Seminar F
Jan. 13 - Sun Jan. 15, 2012, in Deerfield Beach, FL, hosted by Florida
Atlantic University (http://math.fau.edu/richman/FAU2012.html). It will be
dedicated to Alan Turing as part of Alan Turing Year, commemorating the
centenary of his birth (http://www.mathcomp.leeds.ac.uk/turing2012/). As
part of that, there will be a special session dedicated to Turing's life and
times, which will include an address by his famed biographer David Leavitt,
as well as other surprises. The speakers for the scientific part will
include Wesley Calvert, Martin Davis, Joel Hamkins, Pietr Hofstra, Russell
Miller, Anil Nerode, Gerald Sacks, Andre Scedrov, Wilfried Sieg, and Robert
Soare.

You can now make your hotel reservations for the meeting. The talks will be
held at the Wyndham Deerfield Beach, http://www.wyndhamdeerfieldresort.com/,
which is offering rooms to conference attendees at the special rate of
$189/night for oceanfront, $159/night for city view. For this beachfront
property in season, take my word for it that this is a good deal. To make a
reservation, call 954-428-2850 or toll free 24 hours (800) 426-0084 and
mention MAMLS to get the special rate. Online reservations are not possible.
Alternatively, you could stay at the Comfort Inn Oceanside,
http://comfortinnoceanside.com/, just a few blocks away, for prices ranging
from $119.95 to $149.95/night. For reservations, call (954) 428-0650 or toll
free 866-86-OCEAN and mention MAMLS to get the special rate. If you would
like to save even more by rooming with somebody, drop me a line at
Lubarsky.Robert at comcast.net and I will act as a clearinghouse for such
requests. Please remember, this is in season, so I encourage you to do this
at your earliest convenience, as either hotel might eventually get sold out.
This is especially important if you want to make a vacation out of this and
come early or stay late (remember, M Jan 16 is MLK Day), as space at the
special rate is limited.

Some funding is available to support attendance at the meeting. We are most
interested in supporting young researchers and members of groups typically
underrepresented in the sciences. Of course everyone is welcome to apply,
which you can do by writing me at Lubarsky.Robert at comcast.net. Please
include in your request a brief professional biography, as well as a short
description of why your attendace at the conference would be useful to
yourself or the community.

Transportation information is at the hotel websites. The closest airports
are, in order of increasing distance from the hotel, Ft.
Lauderdale/Hollywood, Palm Beach, and Miami. From any of those airports, you
could take the shuttle, a cab, or the train (http://www.tri-rail.com/) to
the Deerfield Beach station and a cab from there.

The talks will run from about 2 pm F to about 2 pm Sunday.

For additional information, write to Lubarsky.Robert at comcast.net.