[FOM] Cylindric Algebra and Consistency

William Tait williamtait at mac.com
Mon May 30 11:59:48 EDT 2011

On May 30, 2011, at 1:25 AM, Vaughan Pratt wrote:
> I agree that cylindrification was a great way to make logic more appealing to mathematicians.  Which came first, that or Halmos's polyadic algebras?  (I encountered the latter while an undergraduate browsing the Sydney Uni. library stacks in 1965, I first encountered cylindric algebras more than a decade later.)

Henkin lectured on cylindrical algebras in Amsterdam in 1954-5 (I still have notes from the lectures) and a paper by him on the representation theorem for cylindrical algebras is in _Mathematical Interpretation of Formal Systems_ (ed. Skolem et al) North-Holland 1955. Halmos wrote a series of papers, collected in _Algebraic Logic_ Chelsea 1962. The papers all date from 1956 or later.

Bill Tait