[FOM] Remedial mathematics?

Monroe Eskew meskew at math.uci.edu
Tue May 24 17:04:45 EDT 2011

Jeremy,

I am curious about your use of the word "essentialism," as it sounds
loaded with philosophical connotations.  To me it seems odd to think
of a first-order axiomatizations as capturing the essence of
something, given:

1) Computable axiomatizations are usually incomplete. (Goedel).
2) First order axiomatizations usually are incapable of uniquely
specifying a structure. (Lowenheim-Skolem)

-Monroe