[FOM] Remedial mathematics?

Jeremy Shipley jeremyrshipley at gmail.com
Mon May 23 22:11:44 EDT 2011

Tim, I wonder if you will indulge a philosophy graduate student who is
ignorant of many things fom by considering to the following (very
humbly and nervously submitted) comment.

I have a fondness for the following (maybe too cute) way of labeling
the positions taken by Frege and Hilbert in their old dispute over the
foundations of geometry, a dispute I have done some thinking and
writing about in the process of developing my philosophical views.

Existentialism (Frege): Existence (ie, intuition of logical and
geometric objects) precedes essence (ie, consistent axiomatic
systemization).

Essentialism (Hilbert): Essence precedes existence.

If I understand, you are suggesting that, according to mathematical
standards, de re intuitions of Z, N, etc may be used to establish
consistency results: i.e., that Frege's existentialism (if not his
logicist reduction of arithmetic) and not Hilbert's essentialism has
carried the day among mathematicians. I am not sure this conclusion
can be drawn from consideration of contexts in which pedagogical
factors are at play, in which "concrete" examples may be given because
they are psychologically prior (in developing the student's "feel" for
the definition) and not necessarily because the examples are prior
ontologically, epistemologically, or logically. In any case, it
strikes me as odd that fom practitioners should appeal to
existentialism, even if it is accepted in ordinary mathematical
reasoning. I would have thought that even if ordinary mathematics is
existentialist, most fom practitioners would be essentialist.
Otherwise why care about consistency proofs in the first place, which
find their relevance, or at least their historical motivation, within
an essentialist program?

-Jeremy

--
Jeremy Shipley
Ballard and Seashore Doctoral Research Fellow

http://uiowa.academia.edu/JeremyShipley/About
jeremy-shipley at uiowa.edu
jeremyrshipley at gmail.com
847-732-4513