[FOM] Voevodsky corr051711,11:12AM-052211,11:05AM

Harvey Friedman friedman at math.ohio-state.edu
Sun May 22 11:54:52 EDT 2011

Vladimir Voevodsky has given me permission to post this up to date
correspondence between us.

On May 17, 2011, at 2:45 PM, Harvey Friedman wrote:

Dear Professor Voevodsky,

I have become aware of your online videos at http://video.ias.edu/voevodsky-80th
  and http://video.ias.edu/univalent/voevodsky. I was particularly
struck by your discussion of the "possible inconsistency of Peano
Arithmetic". This has created a lot of attention on the FOM email
list. As a subscriber to that list, I would very much like you to send
us an account of how you view the consistency of Peano Arithmetic. In
particular, how you view the usual mathematical proof that Peano
Arithmetic is consistent, and to what extent and in what sense is "the
consistency of Peano Arithmetic" a genuine open problem in
mathematics. It would also be of interest to hear your conception of
what foundations of mathematics is, or should be, or could be, as it
appears to be very different from traditional conceptions of the
foundations of mathematics.

Respectfully yours,

Harvey M. Friedman
Ohio State University
Distinguished University Professor
Mathematics, Philosophy, Computer Science