[FOM] An Introduction to Gödel's Theorems, Second edition?

Peter Smith ps218 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Jun 2 04:27:26 EDT 2011

I hope this isn't a misuse of the list! But I guess FOMers have a
considerable interest in there being decent textbooks for their students.
Anyway, ...

I am negotiating with Cambridge Univ. Press about publishing a second
edition of my *Introduction to Gödel's Theorems*. This was first published
in 2007, seems to be well used and well liked by many, and has already had
two significantly corrected reprints. But I'd now like to do a serious
rewrite of the book, and CUP have already indicated that I could expand it
by about 10% too. With a bit of distance, I can see a lot of room for
improvement, and for rounding out various bits of exposition and/or
discussion.

Two requests/invitations, then, to those of you out there who know the book:

1. If you would like to make suggestions about how the book might be
improved/augmented/revised do please let me know -- either by email to
ps218 at cam dot ac dot uk, or by using the comments page on my blog
http://www.logicmatters.net (click the sidebar to Introduction to Gödel's
Theorems > The second edition!). Some FOMers gave amazingly helpful advice
the first time around: and it goes without saying that I'll be equally
grateful again!

2. But more immediately, to kick-start the whole process, if you use (and
like!) the book for teaching, and would be prepared for CUP to contact you
to comment briefly on my (currently pretty unspecific) plans for a second
edition, could you please email me? [Unofficial bribe: CUP tend to pay for
such help not ungenerously in nice shiny new books of your choice ...]

Many thanks in advance,

Peter Smith
Faculty of Philosophy, University of Cambridge
www.logicmatters.net