[FOM] CH and forcing

Mitchell Spector spector at alum.mit.edu
Wed Jul 6 08:31:13 EDT 2011

Prikry forcing provides an interesting example of internal forcing (inside V),
since the models involved are in this case well-founded.  This can then be used
to motivate a construction for the non-well-founded general case.

The usual approach to Prikry forcing would be to start with a ground model
containing measurable cardinal kappa with normal ultrafilter U; a generic
extension adds a new omega-sequence cofinal with kappa (while preserving
cardinals, etc.).

An alternative approach ("internal forcing") takes place entirely within V:

Take iterated ultrapowers of V by U.  Because U is countably complete, the
iterated ultrapowers are well-founded; each one is isomorphic to a transitive
inner model.  Call the (Mostowski collapse of the) alpha-th iterate M_alpha. M_0
here is V.  Let j_alpha_beta be the canonical elementary embedding which maps
M_alpha to M_beta.

We'll use the class M_omega as the ground model.  (M_omega is an inner model of
ZFC, and V can be elementarily embedded into it.)  The ordinal j_0_omega(kappa)
is a measurable cardinal in M_omega, with normal ultrafilter j_0_omega(U).  But
this ordinal is cofinal with omega in V.  The crux of the matter here is that,
in fact, the sequence
<j_0_n(kappa) | n < omega>
is Prikry-generic over M-omega.  The generic extension of M_omega one gets from
this is a transitive inner model (of V), and everything has taken place inside V.

One can use this as a template for a similar construction for any forcing
notion, although the class models involved will usually not be well-founded.
This general approach uses limit ultrapowers (of which iterated ultrapowers are
a specific example).

I believe the following is correct, if memory serves:

Given a partial ordering P, the collection of dense open sets is a filter.
Extend it to an ultrafilter U (using the axiom of choice).  Take the ultrapower
V^P/U.  A function f with domain P is said to be eventually constant if the set
{ p | for all q extending p, f(p) = f(q) }
belongs to U.  Let M be the submodel of V^P/U consisting of the equivalence
classes of the eventually constant functions.  This submodel M is a limit
ultrapower of V.  (Chang & Keisler's Model Theory has a very clear exposition of
limit ultrapowers.)

Let j be the canonical elementary embedding of V into M.  Then j(P) is a partial
ordering in M.  Using M as the ground model, one can construct a generic
extension of M by the forcing notion j(P).

Again, this takes place entirely in V.  (If we let G(p) = {q | p extends q},
then the generic extension is constructed as a submodel of the full ultrapower
V^P/U, using [G] as the generic filter.  But the construction would need to be
carried out in V itself, not in V^P/U, since the ground model M is not definable
over V^P/U.)

Unlike the situation with Prikry forcing, the model M and its generic extension
are, in general, not well-founded, and, as Andreas points out, typically not
even omega-models.

I'm not familiar with Vopenka's result on this -- I'd like to thank Andreas
Blass for posting his interesting comments about it.

The construction above comes from some old musings about ultrapowers and
forcing.  Is this approach essentially the same as Vopenka's?  From Andreas'
description, it sounds like it is, but of course using partial orderings instead
of Boolean algebras.

I hope I've remembered all this correctly; it must be 20 years since I've
thought about it.

Mitchell Spector