[FOM] Cardinality in weaker set theories

John Burgess jburgess at princeton.edu
Mon Jan 17 12:21:53 EST 2011

Maybe you have to be a bit careful about the formulation of D.
One could choose omega to represent beth-zero, its powerset to
represent beth-one, and so on,
and since you can't disprove GCH or prove the existence of beth-omega,
you can't prove this isn't assigning a unique representative to every
cardinal,
though of course you can't prove it is.
Some more knowledgeable person can probably tell us whether there is a
known theorem to the effect that
there is no definable assignment of representatives that can be proved
to assign a unique representative to every cardinal.
Generally in ZC one would use Scott equivalence classes for cardinals;
but these of course aren't representatives (that is, this approach
doesn't make the cardinal kappa to be some one distinguished set of
that cardinality).