[FOM] Which is clearer, "integer" or "symbol"?

Timothy Y. Chow tchow at alum.mit.edu
Sun Jan 2 22:45:09 EST 2011

On Sun, 2 Jan 2011, MELVYN NATHANSON wrote:
> I think it's just you.  Everyone, even infants, understands one, two,
> three,..., but what's a symbol?

Just to be clear, I personally don't think that symbols are clearer than
integers.  What I'm asking is whether I'm the only one who has encountered
an increasing number of people who claim that symbols are clearer than
integers.

So when you say, "I think it's just you," do you mean that you have *not*
encountered people who make such claims?

Tim