[FOM] Frank Quinn article in January Notices

Monroe Eskew meskew at math.uci.edu
Tue Dec 27 16:55:24 EST 2011

Dear David,

Of course probability and statistics can be developed from a classical foundation.  I don't think your example is one of the excluded middle failing, just one where confusion can result from muddying the distinction between statements P and statements about P such as "We reject P," "We believe P," "P is provable," etc.  For example, I do not believe that there is a white dog in some house on my street right now.  That does not mean that I believe that there is no white dog in some house on my street.  But I certainly believe that either there is or there is not a white dog in some house on my street.

Best,
Monroe