[FOM] Question on an old Paper in Set Theory_

A. Mani a_mani_sc_gs at yahoo.co.in
Sun Oct 24 09:11:52 EDT 2010

Jourdain, P. 'A proof that every aggregate can be well-ordered.'
Acta Math vol 43, No.1 Dec 1922, 239--261

http://www.springerlink.com/content/cq874822k08946v5/fulltext.pdf
(downloadable)

What is the meaning of this comment?

"The undersigned does not accept the principal view on which is based the
above paper of the regretted, highly esteemed mathematician Philip B.
Jourdain, which paper seems to be the last one written by him. But it contains
so many new points of view that I have thought I would do the mathematical
Public a service by publishing it. At the same time, however, I wish to point
out that this journal will not to any further extent be at the disposal for
papers of the same kind.
G. Mittag-Leffler."

Best

A. Mani