[FOM] is logic universal?

jean-yves beziau beziau100 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 11:47:54 EDT 2010

A special issue of the journal Logica Universalis dedicated to the
question "is logic universal?" has been released.
<http://www.springerlink.com/content/120443/?Content+Status=Accepted>http://www.springerlink.com/content/120443/?Content+Status=Accepted

The authors have tried to answer the following questions:

1. Do all human beings have the same capacity of reasoning? Do men,
women, children, Papuans, yuppies, reason in the same way?

2. Does reasoning evolve? Did human beings reason in the same way two
centuries ago? In the future will human beings reason in the same
way? Are computers changing our way of reasoning? Is a mathematical
proof independent of time and culture?

3. Do we reason in different ways depending on the situation? Do we
use the same logic for everyday life, in physics, and in questions to
do with the economy?

4. Do the different systems of logic reflect the diversity of reasoning?

5. Is there any absolute true way of reasoning?